Photo: Adobe Stock
Photo: Adobe Stock
The KwaZulu-Natal man who was the first South African to test positive for COVID-19 is back in the comfort of his own home, according to premier Sihle Zikalala.
The 38-year-old became the country’s first confirmed coronavirus case when he returned positive results earlier in the month.
He had just returned from a ski trip in Italy, the new epicentre of the virus.
Zikalala said that the man and one other patient’s recovery are a sign of hope for the province’s fight against COVID-19.
“This development of the recuperation of the first two patients inspires hope in line with KZN’s coronavirus battle mantra ‘Siyayinqoba (We will conquer) the coronavirus pandemic’.
“This is very important as it dispels fear among our people and confirms that coronavirus is curable through early medical intervention and through people heeding precautions laid out by the government.”Sihle Zikalala
The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in South Africa reached 202 on Friday.
KwaZulu-Natal is among the six provinces that have reported cases so far, with 24 infections, third behind Gauteng and the Western Cape.
Gauteng accounts for more than half of the country’s confirmed cases with 109, with the Western Cape recording 56.
The Free State, Mpumalanga, and Limpopo are the other three with seven, five and one respectively.
The Northen Cape, North West and the Eastern Cape are yet to record any confirmed cases.
KZN’s Health MEC Nomagugu Simelane-Zulu said the pandemic was a test of the government’s readiness to implement the National Health Insurance.
“This is a serious test of our readiness to roll-out the National Health Insurance,” she said.Nomagugu Simelane-Zulu
Of the 52 new cases reported on Friday, only one came from KZN – a 29-year-old woman who did not reveal her travel history.
Gauteng – 109
Western Cape – 56
KZN – 24
Free State – 7
Mpumalanga – 5
Limpopo – 1