couple flat chemical

A couple was found dead on their bed in Durban. Image: Netcare911

Couple found dead in their bed after adjoining flat is fumigated

A Durban couple was found dead on their bed after an adjoining flat was reportedly fumigated with an unknown chemical.

couple flat chemical

A couple was found dead on their bed in Durban. Image: Netcare911

A couple died following a  chemical exposure at a flat on Currie Road in Musgrave, Durban, KwaZulu-Natal. 

The two were found unresponsive in their flat on Wednesday, 28 September. 


Netcare 911 spokesperson Shawn Herbst said paramedics were dispatched just after 10:00. 

Herbs said reports indicated that the adult male and female’s family members tried contacting them but had no luck as their phones were not being answered.

“Upon arrival of the family member, who entered the flat, two relatives were found unresponsive,” Herbst said. 

ALSO READ: Load shedding: Pretoria elderly couple suffers Carbon Monoxide poisoning

“The emergency services were immediately notified, who arrived on the scene within minutes. On scene were the eThekwini Fire and Rescue Services, SAPS Explosives Unit and Berea SAPS.

“It was established that an adjoining vacant flat had been fumigated using a white powder-like substance. Firemen used an industrial fan to clear the toxic fumes.”

Shawn Herbst

A Netcare 911 Rescue Technician with the Fire Department reportedly used self-contained breathing apparatus to enter the home unit, where they found an adult male and an adult female unresponsive in the bed.

The couple was reportedly assessed, however they showed no signs of life and were sadly declared deceased.

“Circumstances leading up to the incident will be investigated by the relevant authorities.”


In a separate incident, a man suffered serious injuries when a generator exploded in his face while trying to switch it on in Moreletapark, Pretoria East. 

The man’s home was also gutted and his two cars damaged. It is said there was load shedding in the area when the incident occurred.  Read the full story here.

ALSO READ: Young Mpumalanga couple escapes death during home invasion