National power supplier, Eskom, has announced that it will be implementing various stages of load shedding until further notice.
Eskom said instead of Stage 5, it will implement Stage 4 load shedding continuously until 05:00 on Tuesday, 22 November. Thereafter Stage 2 load shedding will be implemented daily from 05:00 to 16:00. Stage 4 will again be implemented daily from 16:00 to -5:00 until further notice.
TSHWANE LOAD SHEDDING SCHEDULE
The City of Tshwane has since updated its schedule for Wednesday, 23 November 2022
00:00-02:30 Group 14,2,6,10
02:00-04:30 Group 15,3,7,11
04:00-05:30 Group 16,4,8,12
05:00-06:30 Group 16, 4
06:00-08:30 Group 1, 5
08:00-10:30 Group 2, 6
10:00-12:30 Group 3, 7
12:00-14:30 Group 4, 8
14:00-16:30 Group 5, 9
16:00-18:30 Group 6,10,14,2
18:00-20:30 Group 7,11,15,3
20:00-22:30 Group 8,12,16,4
22:00-00:30 Group 9,13,1,5
Here are some tips to mitigate against risks caused by load shedding:
- Make use of surge protection: Electric surges are one of the biggest causes of damage to equipment during a power outage. Installing a surge protection device can help minimise some damage in unforeseen situations. Have a surge protection device fitted to your electrical distribution board or, alternatively, at the power outlet to the electronic device.
- Ensure that your alarm system is working and the backup battery is fully functional to provide power to the system in the event of load shedding.
- Spare torch or headlamp: Keep a torch in your car in case you arrive home at night during a power outage. Most smartphones have built-in torch or torch apps, which come in handy during unexpected power outages.
- Charge your cellphone, laptop, and tablet: Ensure your cellphone, laptop, and tablet devices are fully charged ahead of scheduled blackouts. Be sure to charge them again as soon as possible after the power returns. It’s also a good idea to have an emergency phone charger (like a power bank) close by. This comes in handy during extended power outages.
- Gas for cooking and lighting: Get a small LP gas bottle and lamp. It gives good quality lighting for a large area and can also be used for cooking and boiling water. It’s a good idea to keep hot water in a thermal flask so that you can make hot drinks. Also, co
ALSO READ: GRAPHIC: Patient allegedly killed inside ambulance in Atteridgeville