cash in transit

Photo: File

Cash-in-transit: Police make arrest in 18-month old CIT case

Police have finally tracked down a man suspected of being involved in a cash-in-transit robbery that took place in December 2019.

cash in transit

Photo: File

Police in the Eastern Cape have arrested a man in connection with a cash-in-transit (CIT) robbery that took place over 18-months ago in Gqeberha, saying that the 34-year-old is the first of several arrests set to take place. 

The incident took place back in December 2019, and saw a group of suspects kill a security guard at an ATM where he was depositing cash, before causing a major accident as they tried to flee. 

Cash-in-transit suspect arrested 

South African Police Service (SAPS) spokesperson Captain Yolisa Mgolodela said in a statement issued on Thursday 19 August that a 34-year-old suspect was arrested by the Gqeberha Serious Organised Priority Violent Crime Investigation team of the Hawks on Wednesday for murder and cash-in-transit robbery.

“It is alleged that on 23 December 2019, a G4S security guard was returning to the cash-in-transit (CIT) vehicle after collecting money from the service station at Ziyabuya Complex in Kwadwesi, Gqeberha when he was accosted by three armed males,” she said. 

“The guard apparently resisted when he was instructed to hand over the money then he was fatally wounded during the encounter. Fearing for his life, the driver of the security company drove to the nearby police station during the ordeal.”

‘More arrests imminent’  

Mgolodela said that when the suspects fled from the scene, they caused an accident before hijacking one of the other cars involved. 

“The suspects allegedly fled the scene in a white Isuzu bakkie which collided onto two vehicles on the R75 road near the shopping complex. The suspects jumped into one of those vehicles, leaving their bakkie and the vehicle owners at the accident scene. They managed to flee with more than R133 000 cash,” she said. 

The suspect is expected to appear in Gqeberha New Law Court soon and police insisted that further arrests are imminent.