Capitec has moved swiftly to dismiss claims the enraged naked woman who smashed down a branch in Strand, did not have any declined transactions, contrary to public claims.
As The South African reported last week, the woman was seen completely bare while she attacked the bank branch’s property as customers and bank staff frightfully left the scene.
She first approached a consultant’s service booth where she grabbed electronic equipment that she smashed to the ground. The consultant, keeping his utmost cool, got up to walk away while talking on his mobile phone.
The South African Police Service (SAPS) later confirmed nabbing the woman. According to SAPS spokesperson Captain FC Van Wyk the woman, aged 41, found herself in police custody last Thursday.
The report said she will appear in the Strand magistrate’s court once charged. Van Wyk said the suspect is facing malicious damage to property.
The latest update from the financial institution has denied reports that claim the naked woman’s attack was driven by a rejection of a transaction she had made at the bank.
One of the claims that made plenty of rounds on social media said:
“Seeing a black woman having to parade naked at Capitec bank for the money she worked so hard for, this goes to show that South African banks are racist they’d never do it to a person of different banks,” @ZandileExcel said on Twitter.
The retail bank said the 41-year-old woman had an active account with cash and was not provoked by any declined transaction or rejected credit request.
“The woman is a client of ours who had money in her account, did not have any declined transactions or credit application,” the bank said in an official statement.