Eskom NERSA 32.7%

Andre de Ruyter says he is not to blame for the latest load shedding crisis – Photo: Twitter/ @samkelemaseko

‘Not my fault!’ – Here’s who Andre De Ruyter blames for Stage 6 crisis

Eskom’s CEO pointed fingers elsewhere on Tuesday – and Andre de Ruyter denies he is responsible for the possibility of Stage 6 load shedding.

Eskom NERSA 32.7%

Andre de Ruyter says he is not to blame for the latest load shedding crisis – Photo: Twitter/ @samkelemaseko

It’s not quite ‘the dog ate my homework’, but Andre de Ruyter DID have his list of excuses lined-up, shortly after he announced that Stage 6 load shedding could be implemented in South Africa this evening. The Eskom CEO has moved quickly to try and absolve himself of any blame.

Is South Africa getting Stage 6 load shedding?

Speaking to the media earlier on Tuesday, de Ruyter dropped a bombshell by stating that there was a ‘significant possibility’ of Stage 6 blackouts from 17:00 onwards. This comes after almost the entire country laboured through rolling Stage 4 outages since Friday morning.

Should we find ourselves moving to Stage 6 – for the first time since December 2019 – Eskom COO Jan Oberholzer predicts that Stage 8 cuts could soon follow, IF industrial action continues at the utility. There’s no doubt that the national power provider has now been brought to its knees.

Here’s who Andre de Ruyter blames for current load shedding crisis

But how did we get to this point? Well, many critics are quick to accuse Andre de Ruyter. Load shedding has intensified during his tenure as CEO, but the big boss has always maintained that he was left with an almighty mess to clear-up. He blames this latest crisis on the following factors:

  • Decisions made by previous Eskom executives.
  • Plant defects that went unattended by maintenance staff for years.
  • Workers going on a massive strike, which Andre de Ruyter says is ‘unlawful’.

Could we go beyond Stage 6? Andre de Ruyter has his say

Eskom executives remain hopeful that striking workers can come to an agreement with the firm in the next few days. But, if they don’t, South Africa could be plunged into an unprecedented level of darkness. Andre de Ruyter, meanwhile, says he WILL NOT consult with Cyril Ramaphosa.

“We are reaping the fruits of a number of decisions that were made, or not made previously, such as defects in plants. These decisions were taken by previous Eskom management, and right now, there is unlawful strike action.”

“The solution is as quickly as possible, introduce new capacity. Eskom is not the only roleplayer here – others must be involved. I don’t intend on speaking to President Ramaphosa about this. Workers are engaged in illegal actions, so we can’t blame Eskom.”

Andre de Ruyter