kzn murder

Photo:Stock/Canva

Murder files: Taxi operators face multiple charges in court

Twelve taxi operators accused of murder and attempted murder have appeared in the Klerksdorp Regional Court to face a slew of charges.

kzn murder

Photo:Stock/Canva

Twelve taxi operators accused of murder appeared in the Klerksdorp Regional Court on Monday.

NPA regional spokesperson Henry Mamothame said the men are facing two charges of murder and four charges of attempted murder.

“When the matter appeared before the same court in June 2021, two of the state witnesses who survived the attack had already testified about their ordeal in the hands of the alleged perpetrators,” he said.

When proceedings commenced on Monday the state representative, Advocate Benny Kalakgosi led more evidence by calling a third witness, Kashiso Mahashe, who testified regarding the severity of his injuries after the alleged attempted murder. He gave an account of his near death experience and how it is still affecting his livelihood.

“On 19 September 2018, the accused who are said to be taxi operators in Boitumelo near Bloemhof, allegedly forcefully took six of the victims to Boitumelo taxi rank and assaulted them with spades, pangas, sjamboks, sticks and other objects,” Mamothame said,

“The six were allegedly criminals belonging to a criminal gang known as SVK, notorious for terrorising the community for a long period and some of them facing criminal charges. The taxi operators then took it upon themselves to deal with these alleged criminals by taking the law into their own hands,” he said.

During the assault, Mooketsi Mogapi, 33,  died at the scene and Teboho Thoo, 21, died four days later in hospital. Shadrack Mokonyane, France Watkins, Kashiso Mahashe and Thabang Leepile were severely injured but survived the onslaught.

Eleven of the accused, Olebogeng Ndlovu, 28, Ivan Leonard, 31, Mxholeli Bongola, 41, Poliri Mohlolo, 26, Isaac Ndlovu, 29, Ishmael Ngubane, 29, Nkululeko Nkencele, 48, James Qankase, 36, Jeremah Bonokwane, 20, Boitumelo Magage, 25, and Daniel Qangase, 50, are out on warning, while Mohau Motswana, 43, will remain in police custody for a different criminal matter.

The matter is set to continue in court until Thursday, 23 September 2021.