Eskom has announced that Stage 4 load shedding would be implemented on Wednesday, 7 December until further notice.
The power utility said this is due to further breakdowns and delayed returns of generating units to service.
TSHWANE LOAD SHEDDING SCHEDULE
The City of Tshwane has since updated its load shedding schedule for Wednesday, 7 December.
09:00- 10:30 Group 14,2,6,10
10:00-12:30 Group 15,3,7,11
12:00-14:30 Group 16,4,8,12
14:00-16:30 Group 1,5,9,13
16:00-18:30 Group 2,6,10,14
18:00-20:30 Group 3,7,11,15
20:00-22:30 Group 4,8,12,16
22:00-00:30 Group 5,9,13,1
ALSO READ: City Power expects more outages following thunderstorms in Johannesburg
Here are some tips to mitigate against risks caused by load shedding:
- Make use of surge protection: Electric surges are one of the biggest causes of damage to equipment during a power outage. Installing a surge protection device can help minimise some damage in unforeseen situations. Have a surge protection device fitted to your electrical distribution board or, alternatively, at the power outlet to the electronic device.
- Ensure that your alarm system is working and the backup battery is fully functional to provide power to the system in the event of load shedding.
- Spare torch or headlamp: Keep a torch in your car in case you arrive home at night during a power outage. Most smartphones have built-in torch or torch apps, which come in handy during unexpected power outages.
- Charge your cellphone, laptop, and tablet: Ensure your cellphone, laptop, and tablet devices are fully charged ahead of scheduled blackouts. Be sure to charge them again as soon as possible after the power returns. It’s also a good idea to have an emergency phone charger (like a power bank) close by. This comes in handy during extended power outages.
- Gas for cooking and lighting: Get a small LP gas bottle and lamp. It gives good quality lighting for a large area and can also be used for cooking and boiling water. It’s a good idea to keep hot water in a thermal flask so that you can make hot drinks.