Parliament bomb scare

Secretary to the National Assembly Mr Masibulele Xaso reading out names of Members of the House in an alphabetical order to cast their votes on the Motion of no Confidence in the Cabinet – Photo: @ParliamentRSA / Twitter

JUST IN: Parliament cordoned off due to BOMB SCARE

Authorities, including bomb disposal specialists, were roped in after a suspiscious package was found at the Parliamentary precinct

Parliament bomb scare

Secretary to the National Assembly Mr Masibulele Xaso reading out names of Members of the House in an alphabetical order to cast their votes on the Motion of no Confidence in the Cabinet – Photo: @ParliamentRSA / Twitter

The Parliamentary precinct had to be cordoned off on Wednesday morning, 17 August 2022, in the wake of a bomb scare. According to Parliament’s spokesperson, Moloto Mothapo, a suspiscious-looking package had been left unattended, prompting the relevant authorities to spring into action.

“Earlier this morning the South African Police Service noticed a suspicious package left unattended at the Parliamentary precincts, and immediately engaged normal safety protocols by its bomb disposal specialists, including cordoning off the immediate vicinity,” Mothapo said on Twitter a short while ago.

BOMB SCARE CONFIRMED, NO DANGER POSED

Fortunately, law enforcement agencies probing the supposed bomb scare in Parliament were able to determine that there was no immediate danger caused. However, Mothapo says they remain on site and has further apologised for Parliamentary staff, including MPs and guests, for the inconvenience caused.

“While the police remain at the precincts and are undertaking necessary precautionary measures, Parliament confirms there is no immediate danger posed to the parliamentary community. Parliament apologises for any inconvenience this may have caused to the MPs, staff and guests”

Parliament’s spokesperson, Moloto Mothapo

For now, the source of the mystery package isn’t clear. In the beginning of January 2022, a fire gutted the Old and New Assembly buildings, prompting concerns that Parliament and other landmarks were under siege. The blaze forced officials hold parliamentary proceedings in the Chamber of Good Hope until repairs.

Zandile Mafe faces several charges in connection with the fire, including arson, housebreaking with intent to commit arson, terrorism (alternatively, discharging or detonating an explosive or lethal device) and theft.

READ MORE: