fire Orange Farm

Photo source: Flickr

Orange Farm: Shack fire KILLS two children, third sustains burn wounds

According to Joburg Emergency Management Services, the cause of the fire is a candle that was unattended to

fire Orange Farm

Photo source: Flickr

Johannesburg Emergency Management (EMS) has confirmed a shack fire in Orange Farm, which left two children dead and another one injured.

According to EMS spokesperson Robert Mulaudzi, the blaze occurred on Monday evening, 23 May 2022. The cause of the fire is a lit candle which was left unattended. The mother of the three children, had left them alone inside their shack in Driezik extension 4 to buy more candles because the area had load shedding.

“The two young children, aged between two and four, succumbed to smoke inhalation and lost their lives during the fire incident,” Mulaudzi said.

The third child, a seven-year-old boy, sustained minor burn injuries and received medical care on the scene. He had to be transported to the nearest health care facility for further medical care.

YOU CAN ALSO READ: Cold front: Johannesburg EMS on high alert for fire incidents


The Orange Farm shack fire has prompted Johannesburg Emergency Services (EMS) to remind residents to be extra careful when using heating devices to warm themselves during cold weather conditions. EMS had previously warned that people at home would become vulnerable to fire incidents, should they leave the devices unattended.

“We therefore would like to urge our residents, especially adults and parents, to make sure that all heating devices such as heaters, paraffin stoves, candles, imbaulas, are not left unattended or with young children while in use so that we can prevent fire incidents like this one”

EMS spokesperson Robert Mulaudzi

Parts of the country, including Gauteng, experienced some extreme weather conditions this past weekend. Added to that is the fact that Eskom is implementing load shedding for the entire week between 17:00 and 22:00.

In light of the cold temperatures, Johannesburg Emergency Management Services has advised residents to make use of the following tips:

  • Don’t leave young children unattended in a room with a lit Candle.
  • Store candles, matches and lighters away from the reach of children.
  • Use safe containers to store paraffin ie safety caps
  • Do not connect electricity illegally it’s dangerous to you,children and those around instead report illegal connections.
  • Do not leave a Heater unattended while in use it might cause fires at home