Sjava Lady Zamar rape allegations

Image via sjava_atm Instagram

Sjava resurfaces and responds to allegations: ‘I did not rape her’

After a lengthy period of silence, Sjava, has finally resurfaced amidst a storm of rape allegations made by his former partner, Lady Zamar.

Sjava Lady Zamar rape allegations

Image via sjava_atm Instagram

South African musician Jabulani Makhubo — who goes by the stage name Sjava — claims he did not rape his ex-girlfriend Yamikani ‘Lady Zamar‘ Banda. This comes after she accused him of raping her late last year. 

An article by Sunday World detailed the alleged incident, which took place in 2017 while the pair were still an item. According to Banda, Makhubo raped her in a hotel in Thohoyandou, Limpopo, after they both performed at a concert they were booked for.

In her police statement, Lady Zamar said she cried as she told Sjava that she did not want to engage in sexual relations. He allegedly raped her and told her to sleep after the incident. 

A case was opened at the local police station in November 2019 and it has been passed on to the National Prosecution Authority (NPA) for a decision on whether to prosecute or not.

Sjava claims he did not rape Lady Zamar

Makhubo released a statement on his Twitter account on Tuesday 3 March, listing the series of events according to him, in chronological order.

In the statement, he says that he did not rape her. He also claims that he hasn’t been charged as police are still gathering evidence and interviewing witnesses that accompanied the pair on their trip. 

Sjava listed reasons as to why he did not respond to the Sunday Sun’s questions: 

  • He was not charged, therefore he and his team chose not to engage with media; 
  • Some of the media’s questions did not make sense and should have been put forward to Banda herself; 
  • The media were asking Sjava questions that Banda already made clear; and
  • Police had advised him not to supply the media with comments. 

Dropped from CTIJF lineup 

Sjava, amidst the claims, has also been dropped from the Cape Town Jazz Festival (CTIJF) which is scheduled to take place this weekend. 

After the rape allegations were detailed in a Sunday World report, he was quickly cancelled from appearing at the prestigious festival. 

The Collide hitmaker is also booked to perform at the festival. On Instagram, the organisers of the event posted an announcement on Tuesday, saying that the rape allegations were serious and they could no longer have Sjava perform at the CTIJF.

“Due to the seriousness of the allegations levelled against Sjava, the management of the Cape Town International Jazz Festival has withdrawn Sjava’s performance from the CTIJF 2020 line up.”