How to apply for a Retired Person’s Permit for Foreign Citizens in SA

SA HIGH COMMISSION UK | A retired person permit is issued to a foreigner intending to retire in South Africa.


The South African High Commission Home Affairs Consular Section in UK dealing with Foreign Passport Holders will be opened from 09h00 – 11h00 Monday to Friday except on public holidays. Collections will be from 11h00 – 12h00.

Please note: Telephone Hours for the Home Affairs Section are between  15h00 – 17h00.

Applicants for permanent residency must sent their request for appointment to: hours are between 09h00 – 11h00 from Monday to Friday except public Holidays. No one will be  attended to after 11h00.
Please provide us with your e-mail address. The e-mail address must be written at the bottom of the first page of the visa application form.

  1. No flight arrangements have to be made until the processing officer has informed you of the likelihood of the permit being issued to you.
  2. All payment must be in a form of money order or bank certified check.
  3. All applicants must provide their e—mail addresses so that they can be informed of the status of their applications.
  4. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
  5. No calls should be made to the office until the application has passed stated turn around time.
  6. All applications must be sent to the office by special delivery envelopes.

Retired person permit is issued to a foreigner intending to retire in South Africa.


Processing Fee is £35.00


30 Working Days


General Requirements for all temporary residence permits, except medical treatment permits:

  • Two passport size photographs. See guidelines on Passport & ID Photograph Specifications
  • Passport valid for no less than 30 days after expiry of the intended visit.
  • Medical report.
  • Radiological report.
  • Full birth certificate in respect of each dependent child.
  • Marriage certificate or in a case of foreign spousal relationship, proof of official recognition thereof issued by the authorities of the foreign country of the applicant (where applicable)
  • Affidavit where a spousal relationship to a South  African citizen or resident is applicable as well as documentation proving cohabitation and the extent to which the related financial responsibilities are shared by the parties and setting out the particulars of children in the spousal relationship.
  • Proof of union recognized in terms of the Recognition of Customary Marriages Act, 1998 (Act No. 12 of 1998), where applicable.
  • Written consent from both parents or sole custody parent where applicable with proof of sole custody.
  • Proof of legal adoption (Where applicable).
  • Legal separation order (Where applicable)
  • Police clearance certificates in respect of applicants 18 years and older, in respect of all countries where person resided one year or longer.
  • Vaccination certificate, if required by the Act.


  • Prescribed Form.
  • Proof of a pension fund or an irrevocable retirement annuity or a net worth or a combination of assets realizing a minimum amount of R20 000 per month per retired person.
  • Prepaid Self Addressed Special Delivery Envelope.


Temporary Residence Permit Please see attachment (contained within the Temporary Residence Permit) in respect of medical, radiological and police report.

South African High Commission
Home Affairs
Consular Section
15 Whitehall
London SW1A 2DD

+44 (0) 20 7925 8900

+44 (0) 7839 5198