Work-based strategies that’ll

Work-based strategies that’ll make your move to the USA easier

Moving to the USA for work is the safest way to ensure entry, but there are some hoops that need to be jumped through in order to make the transition easier.

Work-based strategies that’ll

In order to obtain a work visa (usually an H-1 visa) in the USA, you need to achieve the following:

Evaluation of your qualifications and experience

All qualifications and experience need to be evaluated by an accredited evaluation agency in the USA. You will need to have at least the equivalent of a US Bachelor’s degree as well as a number of years’ work experience in that field.

An offer of employment

You will need to have received an offer of employment in line with your qualifications and experience. The Department of Labor will determine the prevailing wage that you should be offered.

Important to bear in mind is that the H-1 ‘season’ opens on 1 April 2017 and the petition needs to be filed on this date due to oversubscription.  

Employer applies for your Green Card

This can take between nine and 24 months, depending on your qualifications. The higher your degree, the faster the processing takes – if you have the equivalent of a US Bachelor’s degree, you will be classified in a 3rd preference category; if you have a Master’s degree or higher, and if the offer of employment matches this qualification, you will be classified in a 2nd preference category.

Excellence in business, the arts or the sciences

Applicants who have an extraordinary national or international reputation in business, the arts, or in the sciences have further options open to them. It is recommended that you consult a reputable immigration lawyer who will be able to assist with your application.

Grant Kaplan is an Immigration lawyer based in Florida who has helped thousands of families and business people make the move into the States. The Law Offices of Grant Kaplan provide a full immigration service for all visa categories. Tel +1 561 347 8440 or email

You might also be interested in reading Four ways to emigrateHow to visit America or Four more ways to move to the USA.