Four ways to emigrate to the U

Four ways to emigrate to the USA – the third in our USA series

The USA has been a desirable place for people from all over the world to consider making their new home. Here are four more ways to turn the dream into a reality.

Four ways to emigrate to the U
  1. Marrying a US citizen

If you marry a US citizen in good faith, you will be eligible to file for a Green Card (whether or not you are in the USA at the time that you marry). This process is relatively quick and can be completed in a few months.

Alternatively, your US fiancé can file for you and this petition will be approved at the US Consulate. Once this is approved, this will allow you to enter the USA and you will then need to get married within 90 days of entry into the States. Grant Kaplan can assist with these processes.

  1. Getting a Green Card

In order to get a Green Card, you will need to have an approved underlying petition to enable you to do so, for example, through marriage to a US citizen or a work-based approved Labor Certification from an employer.

  1. Green Card lottery

Citizens of most countries, including South Africa but not the UK, can enter the Green Card lottery. This is a free-of-charge service and can be accessed on the US government website at The US grants 50 000 Green Cards on an annual basis to the lucky recipients.

  1. Joining the US military

Members and veterans of the US armed forces may be eligible for naturalisation through their military service. In order to enter the military in the USA, there are some criteria that need to be met. Applicants need to:

  • be 18 years or older
  • have served honourably in the US armed forces for at least a year
  • be a permanent resident at the time of examination on the naturalisation application
  • be able to read, write and speak English
  • have a knowledge of US history and government
  • have been a person of good moral character during all relevant periods under law
  • have continuously resided in the US for at least five years.

Grant Kaplan is an Immigration lawyer based in Florida who has helped thousands of families and business people make the move into the States. Kaplan is aware of the stress and difficulty, as well as the cost involved in emigration, and recommends that support from a professional, and if possible family, is sought when making the transition. Tel +1 561 347 8440

You may also be interested in this article about emigration, or this about travelling to the States.