UK Visa pilot scheme for Maste

UK Visa pilot scheme for Masters students

Many overseas post-graduate students wanting to study in the UK are unaware that some UK universities are running a visa pilot scheme for Masters students.

UK Visa pilot scheme for Maste

The visa pilot scheme for Masters students is part of the UK Government’s plan to ensure that UK universities remain internationally competitive. The UK Government said when it announced the scheme that genuine students are welcome in the UK and that they will not limit the number of students who can come to study in the UK.

How the Visa pilot scheme for Masters students’ work

This pilot scheme streamlines the process for overseas Masters students who want to study in the UK, for Masters courses of 13 months or less.

The Universities taking part in the pilot scheme will do eligibility checks. Students will thus have to submit fewer documents than normally required in the visa process. Students will among other things not need to include any financial documentation or previous academic qualifications as supporting documents. (The Home Office can, however, request these documents from an applicant as part of the visa process.)

Students will, however, continue to require Home Office security and identity checks.
The scheme also provides greater support for students wanting to switch to a work visa after their studies. The students are allowed to remain in the UK for an additional six months after they have completed their study course. The additional six months will allow students to look for graduate roles in the UK.

UK Universities taking part in the Visa scheme for Masters students

Universities that are part of the visa pilot scheme include; the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge, Bath, Imperial College, Cardiff University, Goldsmiths University of London, Harper Adams University, Newcastle University, Queen’s University Belfast, The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, University of Bristol, Durham University, University of East Anglia, University of Edinburgh, University of Essex, University of Exeter, University of Glasgow, University of Leicester, University of Liverpool, University of Manchester, University of Nottingham, University of Reading, University of Sheffield, University of Southampton, University of Wales Trinity St. David (Swansea Campus), University of Warwick and University of York.

Dependants of Tier 4 students

Tier 4 students are of course able to accompany the student to the UK, provided that they apply for a Tier 4 dependant visa.

Dependants will be a spouse/civil partner, child or unmarried partner if you have been living together in a relationship similar to marriage for at least two years.

If you are interested to find out more about the student visa pilot scheme, please email us at or please fill out the form below. You can also read more about the Tier 4 Student Visa scheme at the following link.