Skilled Worker

The rules on Additional Working and Studying for Skilled Worker. Image: AdobeStock

The rules on Additional Working for Skilled Workers

Migrants in the UK with Skilled Worker visas often consider undertaking additional employment or doing charity work.

Skilled Worker

The rules on Additional Working and Studying for Skilled Worker. Image: AdobeStock

However, many Skilled Worker migrants are unsure about the immigration terms and conditions for additional work or study. 

Breytenbachs has compiled some guidelines to avoid the pitfalls. 

Skilled Workers and Supplementary Work 

Generally, workers with permission to work in the Skilled Worker visa category can only work for their employer (sponsor). They may also only do the work as specified in the Certificate of Sponsorship. 

Skilled Workers can take up supplementary employment. However, they still have to continue to work in the employment for which the Home Office assigned their Certificate of Sponsorship. 

The supplementary work has to meet the following criteria; 

  • It must be in the same profession and at the same professional level as the work described in the Certificate of Sponsorship; OR 
  • The supplementary work must be for a job on the Shortage Occupation List. 
  • The work may not be for more than 20 hours per week; and 
  • It must take place outside the normal working hours of the sponsored job, for which you have received a Certificate of Sponsorship. 

The employer who provides the supplementary work does not need to be a licensed sponsor. The employee also does not need to inform the Home Office about the supplementary work. However, the employee has to make sure that the work fulfils the criteria of supplementary work. Otherwise, it will be a breach of your conditions of stay of your UK skilled worker visa. The Home Office does advise that the employee informs the employer that the work is supplementary so that the employer can make the necessary checks recommended for employers. 

Secondary Employment 

Skilled worker migrants can also take up a second job for which they do require a Certificate of Sponsorship. This is called secondary employment. 

Please speak to your Breytenbachs consultant for more information on the process of obtaining a second Certificate of Sponsorship for secondary employment. 

Voluntary Work 

Skilled Worker migrants will be allowed to undertake voluntary work. 

The worker may not receive any remuneration or payment for the voluntary work. However, the employer may reimburse the employee for reasonable expenses. 

How Breytenbachs can help you 

Breytenbachs Immigration Consultants have offices in London, Cape Town, Durban and Pretoria. If you want to apply for a UK visa, please contact us to assess your circumstances and advise accordingly. You can email us at or visit Our consultants can assist with all UK immigration matters, visas, permits, including appeals and reviews. 

Please note that the information in this article does not constitute professional advice. It is provided for general information purposes without any warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.