Guernsey – An Alternative to UK Emigration

Guernsey – An Alternative to UK Emigration. Image: AdobeStock

Guernsey – An Alternative to UK Emigration

Many persons are now considering the option to live and work in Guernsey.

Guernsey – An Alternative to UK Emigration

Guernsey – An Alternative to UK Emigration. Image: AdobeStock

Persons who are married or in a relationship with a British Passport holder often choose to work in Guernsey if they cannot meet the strict financial requirements of the UK spousal Visa

Guernsey or the Bailiwick of Guernsey is a British Crown Dependency and the second largest of the Channel Islands. It is not part of the United Kingdom and has its own jurisdiction. However, these Crown Dependencies are closely connected to the UK, and the UK Government governs some of its International Relations aspects. 

Another reason why many people choose to emigrate to Guernsey is because of its spectacular sceneries and more pleasant climate. 

Choosing Guernsey and an Alternative to the UK Spousal Visa Route 

Persons who are in a relationship or married to a British Passport holder, and cannot meet the very strict financial requirements, can consider the Guernsey route. You will still apply for a Spousal/Unmarried Partner Visa the same way you would for a UK Spousal/Unmarried Partner Visa. 

The difference is that there is no Immigration Healths Surcharge payable as part of your application. Also, you do not have to meet the same strict financial requirements as in the UK. You will only have to prove that you can adequately maintain and accommodate yourself.

Emigrating to Guernsey as the spouse of a British Passport holder will mean that you can still travel freely within the Common Travel Area. The Common Travel Area includes the UK. 

Time spent in one of the British Crown Dependencies is not considered time spent outside the UK for the purposes of applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain. Therefore, after completing five years’ residency in Guernsey on a Spousal/Unmarried Partner Visa, you could qualify to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, Citizenship and then a British Passport. You will then automatically have the Right of Abode in the UK. Having the Right of Abode in the UK will automatically give you the right to live and work anywhere in the UK.  

How Breytenbachs can help you 

If you want to find out more about the Guernsey route, please feel free to contact one of our consultants. We will be happy to check your circumstances and advise whether you qualify. 

If you are interested or would like to discuss other visa options, please email us at or visit our website at or phone your closest Breytenbachs office at the following contact details: Durban – 031 880 2777, Cape Town – 021 879 0969 or Pretoria – 012 460 9959, or our London office at +44 207 442 2160.

Please note that the information in this article does not constitute professional advice. It is provided for general information purposes without any warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. 

ALSO READ: The Returning Resident Application for persons who lost their ILR Status