Getting married in the UK? Image: Adobe stock

Getting married in the UK?

Find out how Breytenbachs can help you plan your immigration route, should you wish to settle in the UK eventually.


Getting married in the UK? Image: Adobe stock

South Africans coming to the UK to get married cannot do so while on the UK Visitor Visa.

The UK Marriage Visitor Visa is available specifically for persons who want to come to the UK to get married, register a civil partnership in the UK, or give notice of a marriage or a civil partnership in the UK.

However, it is important to note that you will not be allowed to stay or settle in the UK after the marriage or civil partnership while still on this visa.

We strongly recommend that readers looking to get married in the UK speak to a Breytenbachs consultant, to help them plan their immigration route, should they wish to settle in the UK eventually.

Below we have answered some of the most FAQs on the UK Marriage Visitor Visa.

How soon can I apply before travelling, and how long will I be able to stay?

You can apply at the earliest three months before you plan to travel to the UK. Your visa will then be valid from when a decision has been made. You can stay in the UK for up to six months with the Marriage Visitor Visa.

Can I switch to another type of visa while in the UK?

You cannot apply for or switch to any other permit while on a Marriage Visitor visa. If you intend to move to the UK, you must return to your country of residence and apply for new entry clearance to the UK. We highly recommend that you speak to a Breytenbachs consultant in this regard.

Do I need to prove that I will get married while on the Marriage Visitor Visa?

Yes, firstly, you will have to prove that you are in a genuine relationship.

You will also have to supply additional documents to support your application, including details of the planned marriage or civil partnership and proof that you have paid for some of its costs. You will also have to provide documents to prove that the wedding will take place. This could, among other things, be in the form of booking confirmations or communication between yourself and the venue.

Breytenbachs have a team of consultants specialising in Family and Visitor Visas, such as the Marriage Visitor Visa. They will be able to provide you with full guidance during the application process and ensure a successful outcome!

How Breytenbachs can help you

If you have any queries or want to apply for your UK Visitor or Marriage Visitor Visa, please email Breytenbachs at or visit our website at

You can also phone your nearest Breytenbachs on the following numbers: Durban – 031 880 2777, Cape Town – 021 879 0969 or Pretoria – 012 460 9959, or our London office at +44 207 442 2160.

Please note that the information in this article does not constitute professional advice. It is provided for general information purposes without any warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. 

ALSO READ: FAQ on the UK Visitor Visa