Emigration: Canada offering th

Image supplied

Emigration: Canada offering thousands of open work permits

(Partner content) Canada is issuing thousands of open work permits annually under their International Experience Canada program.

Emigration: Canada offering th

Image supplied

This program is open to citizens from thirty-five different countries with three different types of categories available including the working holiday category, young professionals’ category and international co-op (internship) category.

The International Experience Canada program does not require a job offer and depending on the program allows some applicants to work anywhere in Canada for any employer for a specific length of time. Some permits may be issued for six months or up to two years. For those applying under this program they cannot be accompanied by a spouse or dependent children. This program targets younger applicants looking to gain international work experience, experience in their field or who want to earn some extra cash while travelling through Canada.

Citizens of the following countries are eligible under the International Experience Canada program:

  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Chile
  • Costa Rica
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Korea (South)
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • Ukraine
  • United Kingdom

As part of the application process, applicants may be required to undergo a medical check and criminal background check to ensure that they are not inadmissible to Canada for criminal or medical reasons. Applicants do not need to be residing in the country of their citizenship in order to apply, but they will be required to provide a permanent mailing address in that country as part of the application process. As part of the application, applicants will typically need to be of a certain age (18 – 30 or 18 – 35), have $2,500 available to them, have private health insurance to cover the duration of their stay in Canada, can afford a round trip ticket and have a valid passport issued by their country of citizenship.

The basic difference between the three categories under the International Experience Canada Class is as follows:

  • Working Holiday: Participants are eligible to apply for an open work permit to allow them to work for any employer at any location in Canada who want to earn some extra cash while travelling through Canada.
  • Young Professionals: Participants are eligible to apply for an employer-specific work permit to help them gain professional work experience in Canada. This category is designed for post-secondary graduates who have a signed offer of employment and contract of employment from a Canadian employer. The job must be in their field of expertise (through schooling or work experience) and contribute to their professional development. The work must be paid and cannot be self-employment.
  • International Co-op (internships for students only): Participants are eligible to apply for an employer-specific work permit to help them gain experience in their field of study. This category is designed for applicants who are enrolled at a post-secondary institution and have a signed offer of employment and contract of employment from a Canadian employer. Applicants must be registered students for the duration of the internship. Applicants must want to complete the work placement / internship in Canada in order to fulfil part of their academic curriculum.

With many South Africans possessing dual or multiple citizenships from countries such as Portugal, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and Germany, the International Experience Class is a great way for younger South Africans to be able to obtain a work permit for Canada to gain some international work experience. Later on, they may also become eligible to apply for Canadian permanent residency which can include spouses and dependent children.

For those who are interested in moving to Canada but are not citizens of one of the above mentioned countries, they may be eligible to move to Canada under one of the other available programs.

Work Permits

The first option for those wanting to move to Canada is a work permit. This allows the applicant to live and work in Canada for a temporary period of time (typically one – two years). In order to be eligible for a work permit, the applicant would need to have a job offer from a Canadian employer who, in most cases, is willing to support their application for a Canadian work permit. After working in Canada, the applicant may then be eligible to apply for Permanent Residency in order to move to Canada permanently.

Study Permits

The next option is for those looking to pursue their studies in Canada. They can apply for a Canadian study permit. This would allow them to study in Canada, and in most cases work up to twenty hours per week. If the applicant is married, their spouse can go with them and would be issued with an open work permit. Dependent children can also accompany the applicant. After studying in Canada, the applicant may then be eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit which would allow them to work for any employer in Canada in any occupation. These can be issued for up to a three-year period (based on duration of program of study). After studying and working in Canada, many applicants are then eligible to apply for Permanent Residency in order to move to Canada permanently under one of several different immigration programs.

Economic Classes for Express Entry

Express Entry is the online application system used by anyone applying under the Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Trades, Canadian Experience Class or certain Provincial Nominee Programs. These programs allow applicants to apply directly for permanent residency.

These programs target foreign nationals who are highly skilled and have at least one year of full time paid skilled work experience, have experience working in certain trades for two years or longer in the past five years, have already worked in Canada for one year or longer in a full-time paid skilled position, or have work experience in certain occupations which are in demand in specific parts of Canada. These applications are for permanent residency and can be processed in six months or less.

Deanne Acres-Lans is a Regulated Canadian Immigration has helped thousands of individuals with their Canadian immigration journey. Deanne’s company Canada Abroad provides full immigration services for all visa programs. Tel +27(0)14 941 0802 email info@canadaabroad.com