Canada to reunite more immigra


Canada to reunite more immigrants with their parents and grandparents

Can parents and grandparents join family members in Canada? The short answer is ‘Yes’.

Canada to reunite more immigra


We spoke to the experts at Canada Abroad to hear more about how families are being reunited in Canada.

Families staying together

The question we are asked most often by our clients is: “Can I bring my parents with me to Canada?” The short answer is that you can, as soon as you have activated your Permanent Residency.

Canadian permanent residents and Canadian citizens are allowed to sponsor their parents and grandparents in Canada as permanent residents under the family class.

Immigration Plan for 2019 – 2021

Canada recently announced their Immigration Level Plan for 2019 – 2021, which shows that they will be allowing four times as many applications under the Family Class for Parents and Grandparents of Canadian Permanent Residents and Canadian Citizens from 2019 as in previous years.

In 2019, Canada will be accepting 20,000 new applications under this class and will be discarding the current lottery system where potential sponsors were chosen completely at random. Those not chosen, could not sponsor their parents or grandparents.

In 2019, the system will go back to a first come first served basis, meaning that all permanent residents and citizens will be allowed to submit an application. The government will then process them in the order received until they have filled the yearly quota.

Permanent residency

Once an immigrant arrives in the country, they become a permanent resident of Canada. After they have become a permanent resident they need to meet certain criteria before they can sponsor their Parents or Grandparents for Permanent Residency, which takes a minimum of three years. While you are waiting to meet this criterion, Canada offers other visa options allowing parents and grandparents to stay in Canada with their family.

Visitor’s visa

The first option is a Temporary Residence Visa typically referred to as a visitor’s visa, which allows the parent or grandparent to remain in Canada for a maximum of six months within a twelve-month period. Parents and grandparents would only be visiting the country and cannot work on this visa. In the event that the parent or grandparent already has a valid multiple-entry visitor’s visa for Canada, they do not need to apply again.

Super visa

The second option is a super visa which allows the parent or grandparent to remain in the country for a maximum of two years without having to exit. They can then also apply for an extension of an additional year from within Canada.

As per the visitor’s visa, they cannot work on this visa either. In order to be eligible for this visa the parent or grandparent needs to prove that their child or grandchild is earning enough income to support them while in Canada. This amount varies from year to year and is based on the sponsor’s family size, including the parent(s)/grandparent(s) applying for the visa.

Income requirements

Below are the current income requirements:

Size of Family Unit (including parent(s) and/or grandparent(s) applying for the Super Visa) Minimum necessary annual income in $ CAD
1 person $ 24,949
2 persons $ 31,061
3 persons $ 38,185
4 persons $ 46,362
5 persons $ 52,583
6 persons $ 59,304
7 persons $ 66,027
If more than 7 persons, add this amount per additional family member $6,723

In order to apply for permanent residency, the child or grandchild in Canada would need to be able to prove that they had met the minimum necessary income requirement for the three consecutive years prior to sponsoring their parent or grandparent.

With Canada allowing more applications for parents and grandparents under the family class, they are allowing new immigrants to ensure that they can keep their family together and to start-off in their new country surrounded by their support system.

Deanne Acres-Lans is a Regulated Canadian Immigration consultant based in Johannesburg, South Africa who has helped thousands of individuals with their Canadian immigration journey. Deanne’s company Canada Abroad provides full immigration services for all visa programs. Tel +27(0)14 941 0802 email