Australia to revamp visas for skilled migrants

Australia to revamp migration system for skilled migrants. Image: File

The five jobs that will get you one of the most sought-after Aussie visas

If your job is on the Australian skilled occupations list, you could get your hands on one of the most coveted Aussie visas there is because of the specific skills you hold. You and any dependants you have can live and work in Australia permanently if you have the skills that Australia is looking for.

Australia to revamp visas for skilled migrants

Australia to revamp migration system for skilled migrants. Image: File

Do you have the skills Australia is looking for?

If your occupation is on the Australian skilled occupations list, your skills are in serious demand in Oz. This means that you could be eligible for one of Australia’s most sought-after permanent residency visas, the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189).

Depending on your level of expertise in your specific field, you could start earning a large chunk of change in Australian Dollars from the moment you get there. There are many different occupations on the list, but these are five of the most in-demand jobs in Australia right now:

  • Engineers
  • Secondary School Teachers
  • ICT Security Specialists
  • Actuaries
  • Construction Project Managers

What’s so great about the Skilled Independent visa?

The Skilled Independent visa is a permanent residency visa, which means you can stay in Australia indefinitely once you have been granted this visa. One of the greatest benefits of this visa is that you can bring your family with you and they too will be able to live, work and study in Australia, as well as enrol in Medicare, Australia’s national healthcare scheme.

The Skilled Independent visa route is one of the best ways to get your new life started in Australia. If you have the relevant skills, it’s advisable to apply sooner rather than later, as the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) updates the list of eligible skilled occupations on a regular basis.

Okay, so how do I get a Skilled Independent visa?

The first thing you will need to do is submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to the DIBP. The EOI will need to detail your occupation, skills and qualifications. If your EOI is accepted, you will be invited to apply for the visa. You will only have 60 calendar days to apply for the visa after you have been invited, and there is a lot that needs to be organised before you submit your application, so it’s best to consult an immigration advisor if you’re unsure about any part of your application.

In the second stage of the application, you will need to:

  • Obtain a skills assessment for your occupation
  • Meet the immigration points test pass mark of 65 points
  • Take the English language test
  • Be under 45 years old
  • Meet the health requirement
  • Be of good character

The DIBP are notoriously strict when it comes to Australian visa applications. One piece of missing documentary evidence could mean that your application is rejected, resulting in a lot of wasted time and money. An experienced MARA-registered Australian migration agent will ensure that your application has the greatest chance of success.

The Managing Director of Sable International’s Australian office will be in their Cape Town office at the end of this month conducting free, one-on-one consultations to discuss your personal Australian visa options. Simply click on the button below to book your spot.