Image via Adobe Stock

Fires in Australia: Immigrants remain in high demand

(Partner content) Since the recent devastating fires, Australia is in need of engineers, tradesman and other useful migrants more than ever.


Image via Adobe Stock

The catastrophic bush fires that have recently destroyed homes, lives, and natural habitat across Australia, have impacted the country tremendously. 

People thinking of moving to Australia might be put off by the damage that the fires have done. They may be questioning how the fires have impacted the economy, and more specifically, immigration. How has the country been left in the wake of chaos, and are immigrants still needed Down Under?

Jobs in high demand in Australia

If anything, the recent fires have created the need for even more workers who are able to rebuild parts of the country that were destroyed. 

If you’re an engineer or a tradesman, now is the time to apply. There is even more of a shortage of engineers and tradespeople since the fires, and the country is looking abroad to help fill these positions.

How can you apply? 

If you are a qualified professional or tradesperson with relevant work experience, you may be eligible to apply for an Australian Skilled Visa.

The General Skilled Australian Migration program is for people who are not sponsored by an employer. In other words, you do not yet have a job offer from an Australian employer.  

If this sounds like it would suit you, have a look at the basic requirements below: 

  • Are you under 45 years of age?
  • Are you qualified for an occupation on the appropriate skills list?
  • Do you meet the relevant English language criteria?
  • Do you meet Australia’s health requirement?
  • Do you meet the legislated points score?

Skilled Migrant Visa categories in Australia

Australian skilled visas which provide immediate permanent residence or a secure pathway to obtain permanent residence are:

  • Skilled Independent (189) Visa
  • Skilled Nominated (190) Visa
  • Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) 491 Visa
  • Employer Nomination 482 Visa (TSS) 

Other Australian Skilled Visa categories 

The following Australian skilled visas are also available to individuals who are qualified to work or train in an eligible skilled occupation in Australia and can meet all other requirements:

  • Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa (subclass 186)
  • Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa (subclass 187)*
  • Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)
  • Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190)
  • Training visa (subclass 407)
  • Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa (subclass 482)
  • Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)
  • Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) 491 Visa*

Take the next step

Are you ready to take the next step? By completing the free online visa assessment on the Migrate2Oz website, you will receive free advice on your visa eligibility, visa options and the next key steps. Or for more information on how to move to Australia, contact Migrate2Oz or fill in the form below: