Australian job alert: Glaziers


Australian job alert: Glaziers (and other trade workers) needed Down Under

If you’re a skilled trade worker and would like to move to Australia we have some good news, you’re in high demand.

Australian job alert: Glaziers


Whether you’re a builder, carpenter, electrician, or specialise in any of the other key trade sectors – your skills are highly sought-after. Right now, Australia is experiencing a severe shortage of glaziers. If you’re under 45 and have relevant work experience, you could be eligible for an Australian visa.

Australia’s high quality of life, prosperous economy and diverse population makes it a popular choice for immigration. Job opportunities in Australia can be plentiful if you’re skilled in a specific trade.

Glaziers have been identified as being in short supply and therefore added to the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skilled List (MLTSSL). The occupations on this list are ones considered in high demand in Australia. If you qualify, this is a relatively easy way to move Down Under.

What’s driving the demand for glaziers?

The contruction industry is one of the largest growing sectors in Australia. From 2016 to 2017, construction in the non-residential building industry rose by 4%. The current supply of trade workers is not enough to meet the demand, which is why the need for glaziers has increased significantly. According to recent research, 45% of positions remain unfilled after 60 days due to a lack of skills and qualifications in Australia.

How do you move to Australia as a glazier?

Australia has a variety of visas for skilled migrants wanting to make a permanent move Down Under. The first thing you need to do is to figure out which visas you may qualify for. If you want to move to Australia to work as a glazier, you could be eligible for the following visas:

  • Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)
  • Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)
  • Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190)
  • Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489)
  • Temporary Skilled Shortage visa (subclass 482) 

To see if you qualify for a visa you must determine if you have the required points. Points are awarded to applicants based on age, qualification, experience and English language skills. Your occupation is the basis for your eligibility. This means that if your job is in demand, you will have more visa options.

How to qualify for a Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189 visa)

The Skilled Independent visa is a permanent residency visa and one of the most desired visas too. If you qualify for one, you can stay in Australia indefinitely. One of the greatest benefits of this visa is that you can bring your family with you and they too will be able to live, work and study in Australia, as well as enrol in Medicare, Australia’s national healthcare scheme.

To qualify for this visa, you’ll need to get 70 points.  A typical points assessment for a skilled glazier might look like this:

  • Age: 25 points (if you’re between the ages of 32 and 40 years)
  • Qualification: 10 points (trade diploma required)
  • Experience: 15 points (at least eight years’ experience is required)
  • English language: 20 points (IELTS, eight in each band required)

To achieve 70 points is very difficult and the English language test is quite often a what prevents skilled tradespeople from qualifying for the skilled independent visa.

The Temporary Skilled Shortage visa (subclass 482 visa) 

This is a temporary work visa and is not points-based. It allows you to live and work in Australia for four years. After you’ve worked for your employer for three years, you could be eligible for permanent residency. 

Before you can apply for this visa, you’ll need an employer in Australia who is willing to sponsor you. You will also need to have:

  • A relevant trade qualification and two years’ experience, or at least three years’ experience (no qualification required)
  • Competent English language skills (equivalent to IELTS 5 in each band)

Since the criteria for the Temporary Skilled Shortage visa is far less than the Skilled Independent visa, with the fact that you have a job immediately upon arrival, makes it an attractive option for those that can find a suitable employer to sponsor.

Making a successful move to Australia

Making an international move is exciting but can also involve a lot of red tape. It’s best to get in touch with a MARA-registered Australian migration agent who can assess your situation and advise you on which visa would suit you best. A registered migration agent can also assist you throughout the application process, ensuring that your visa application is 100% correct and you don’t waste unnecessary time and money only for your application to be denied.

Get a job, get a visa

Sable International’s Australian branch currently have a client in the Melbourne area who is seeking a skilled glazier with experience in new builds and renovations (showers, mirrors, splashbacks, pool fences and balustrades).

The successful candidate will be eligible to apply for a Temporary Skilled Shortage visa (subclass 482 visa) under the employer sponsored Medium-and Long-term Strategic Skills list, allowing them a four-year visa with a pathway to permanent residence. If you qualify and are interested, send a CV and cover letter to to get started with your international move.

If you’re interested in hearing about your Australian visa options, feel free to get in touch with one of our Australian immigration agents on or at +61 (0) 38651 4500.