With coffee being one of the world’s most popular beverages, we take a look at five ways to enhance your drinking experience, as well as five simple coffee hacks that you can use around the house.
It’s worth considering all the other ways coffee can help around the house that go beyond that, pick me up in the morning.
Five coffee hacks to enhance your cuppa:
- Add a pinch of salt to your coffee grinds before you add water if you want to make it taste less bitter.
- Reheat coffee in a pot over low heat (the keyword is ‘low’ because high heat will burn the coffee) instead of nuking it in the microwave.
- Freeze coffee into ice cubes and use them to cool down your coffee instead of plain ice that can water the cup down.
- Use a little cinnamon instead of sugar to get a sweeter taste or breathe new life into coffee that’s not the freshest.
- If you’re feeling more adventurous, you can even add cloves, nutmeg, and/or cardamom.
Now for some more hacks – this time around, we look at how coffee can help with daily tasks around the home.
Clever coffee uses around the home:
- If the drain is clogged, mix some ground coffee with dishwashing liquid and pour it down the drain, followed by boiling water. This should break up whatever is causing the blockage.
- You can use coffee as a degreaser; mix it with liquid soap, buff off the residue, and rinse afterward with warm water. We’re looking at you, pesky ring around the bath, and you, greasy spots around the stove.
- Have a nick on your wooden furniture? Mix instant coffee with a couple of tablespoons of water to make a thick paste, and use a cotton wool pad to fill in the chip. When it dries, buff your furniture with polish.
- Stains on the inside of coffee mugs, even those old AF ones that you’re still holding on to, can be handled with baking soda, hot water, and a sponge.
- Toss leftover coffee grinds into your garden as a natural fertiliser and insect repellent, which will be better if the grinds are organic or fair trade.
ALSO READ: How To Make Your Own Caramel-flavoured Coffee