Have you ever wondered who have been the most Googled South Africans over the past 15 years? Either way, Google has released several lists of the most searches on its platforms – which includes people who piqued the most interest amongst citizens.
Some of the names may even surprise you…
By order of appearance: Most GOOGLED South Africans
- Cassper Nyovest: Undoubtedly one of the biggest acts to ever come out of the country. The rapper, whose real name is Refiloe Maele Phoolo, has held sold out concerts in some of the biggest venues on home soil including The Dome and Orlando Stadium. So it’s no surprise he’s at the top of the list.
- President Cyril Ramaphosa: When Ramaphosa launched his CR17 campaign in 2017, he pledged to move South Africa forward and out of its dark past, particularly as it emerged from the State Capture era. This made him a likeable candidate by some, but the sentiment towards him seems to have changed, in light of PPE corruption plaguing his office.
- Julius Malema: The fiery leader has proven to be one of the biggest political heads the country has ever seen, thanks to the launch of this party, the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF). He’s also been embroiled in some controversy, some dating back to his days in the ANC Youth League.
- Jacob Zuma: From his battle with former public protector Thuli Madonsela over his R256 million Nkandla homestead (built with state funds) to the Gupta leaks and who could forget his arms deal case and his imprisonment by the Constitutional Court?
- Bonang Matheba: Arguably the biggest media personality on the continent, Queen B has come a long way since has days as a radio and TV presenter. Bonang has morphed into a high-powered businesswoman and has even garnered some international praise.
- Zodwa Wabantu: She’s one of the most controversial figures in the country right now. The socialite and dancer gained prominence for dancing without underwear and her bravado.
- Black Coffee: No surprise there! The renowned DJ, whose real name is Nkosinathi Innocent Maphumulo, has collaborated with some of the biggest music acts in the world, including Alicia Keys and David Guetta.
Others on the list were Babes Wodumo, Senzo Meyiwa and Pearl Thusi.
The top eight searched international celebrities in the country are: Kim Kardashian, Chris Brown, Justin Bieber, Lil Wayne and Christiano Ronaldo, Donald Trump, Ariana Grande and Taylor Swift.